Handcrafted Semi Precious Gemstone Sterling Silver Beaded Jewelry
New Zealand inspired jewelry, made in America
How to properly take care of your Semi Precious Sterling Silver, handmade Swarovski Crystal and Pearl Jewelry.
Kiwi Jewels is proud to present:
I take pride in my work and set high standards in the craftsmanship of my hand crafted silver jewelry. As with every product its longevity will depend on the care you give it. These are some helpful hints on how to look after your KiwiJewels pieces.
All Sterling Silver jewelry will tarnish with time, as soon as Sterling Silver makes contact with Oxygen, tarnishing will begin. Please note, your Sterling Silver jewelry will not discolor immediately, usually pieces that are cared for will not tarnish for a year or so. Tarnish can easily be taken off your jewelry with a Sterling Silver Polishing Cloth.
1. As mentioned above, to maintain the original condition of your silver jewelry, polish your pieces regularly using a non-abrasive cleaning cloth. Purchase a Silver Polishing Cloth from KiwiJewels.com here. The center of these cloths can be used to clean the jewelry, the outside of the cloth can be used to buff up the silver and remove any tarnish residue.
2. Soap and water will also help keep your silver looking good, although will not replace the tarnish removing properties of a silver cloth. Remember do not dry silver off with paper towels or tissues, always use a soft cloth. Toothpaste and an old toothbrush is also a good way to remove tarnish from silver.
3. An Ionic Cleaner can be used to clean your jewelry, it is safe for just about all Gems, Crystals and Pearls. Do not put hematite in an Ionic Cleaner. Do not put Pearls an an Ultrasonic Cleaner. A rock tumbler cleans Sterling Silver jewelry the best, especially Maille pieces. It is best not to use a Rock Tumbler for anything with set stones.
4. When you are not wearing your silver jewelry, store it in a cool, dry place. A Zip-lock bag is ideal for this and will help prevent both tarnishing or scratching by other pieces. Every piece I send out comes in its own zip-lock bag, and a cardboard box, it is best to store your jewelry when not wearing it in an air-tight plastic bag.
5. Never immerse your silver jewelry in chlorine, salt water, mineral springs, and try to not make contact with suntan lotion. Also, some household cleaners contain chlorine bleach, these will cause discoloration and also loosen gemstones. Always remove your jewelry before doing household chores, especially when washing dishes.
6. Avoid abrasive cleaners, detergents and commercial jewelry cleaners "dips" especially if the pieces have an oxidized finish. An oxidized finish is often found coating White Gold, Sterling Silver and Platinum Jewelry to give it a more shiny finish. If your White Gold jewelry has lost its luster even after cleaning, you may need to take the jewelry to a local jeweler to have it re-oxidized, this is usually a quick and cheap process to do. Using harsh polishing cleaners, and over-cleaning your jewelry will alter the look of your jewelry.
7. Never use an ultrasonic cleaner, ammonia or any chemical solution to clean opaque gemstones, such as turquoise, malachite, onyx, lapis lazuli and opals. They are a porous stone and may absorb chemicals, which build up inside the stone and cause discoloration. Simply wipe them gently with a moist cloth until clean.
8. If your jewelry contains gemstones or pearls, do not immerse in water, as this can loosen some settings. KiwiJewels.com does not set gemstones or pearls in precious metals, this is a general rule for set jewelry, not wire wrapped jewelry. Never use dips or abrasives cleaners on gemstones.
9. Always read instructions on the side of Jewelry Cleaners and Jewelry Cleaner Machines prior to putting your jewelry in it.
10. Although all KiwiJewels.com pieces are made to the highest quality, do not wear your jewelry to bed, swimming, in the shower or washing dishes. It is best to leave putting on your jewelry until the last moment, after you have put on make-up, used hairspray, body spray or deodorant. This will cut down the tarnish process.
Caring for Pearl Jewelry
Proper care can preserve and extend the life of pearls. Extreme dryness is damaging; pearls are also sensitive to acids, perspiration, cosmetics, and hair spray. Since they are relatively soft, they can be easily scratched. Do not use a Silver Polishing Cloth with Pearl Jewelry.
Keep your pearl jewelry separate from other jewelry pieces, so other pieces don't scratch the pearls.
The above information is general care and not to be assumed for the care of a specific piece of jewelry. If you have any doubts on cleaning your jewelry, contact me, your local jeweler, or clean at your own risk. KiwiJewels.com is not responsible for cleaning mishaps!
Custom Chain Maille Bracelet
If you have any questions about a particular KiwiJewels piece and how to clean it, please don't hesitate to contact me for further care instructions. If in doubt, please be sure to contact me for correct information.
2003-2006 Copyright. Kiwi Jewels - Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry crafted with Sterling Silver using fine Swarovski Austrian Crystal and Semi Precious Gems. Designed and Handcrafted in the USA by a native of New Zealand. Any reproduction of jewelry on this site or saving of photos from this website is considered a breach of copyright. I welcome link exchanging, please click here to exchange links.
Click on the Kiwi to send me an e-mail